View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st March 2017
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Being married to a Green Card (resident alien) holder, we've already noticed the effects. The Green Card holder lines at major Northeast airports are much, much longer than they used to be as they pull more people aside for detailed questioning. And she's from Japan, which is, so far, an ally.
The promise to keep out the "bad immigrants" (or "bad hombres", as you can apparently call them these days) while keeping the "good immigrants" seems like impossibility to me. You either make it harder for everyone, or you make it harder for no one, but selectively applying these things doesn't really work.

I moved to the UK last year, and as a EU national all I had to do was apply for a national insurance number (so my employer can pay me), which consisted of one brief phone call and one brief interview.

Who knows what things will look like post-Brexit, but I doubt it'll be as easy as this. One of my American coworkers has been having a lot of problems with the Irish immigration services (I work for an Irish company), even though he's exactly the sort of skilled worker that's in high demand and will only contribute to the economy.

Last edited by Carpetsmoker; 10th November 2020 at 03:06 AM.