View Single Post
Old 24th April 2011
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Having some experience with Android, iPhones and writing applets for both platforms I can just say that I am very sadden by the fact that technologically superior platform (iPhone) is losing the battle. The whole story reminds me of the loss of Beta in Beta vs VHS wars of early eighties.
I don't think it's as simple as that. iPhone certainly has advantages over Android, but also has a lot of disadvantages.
For starters, you lose a lot of freedom.
An app can't even enter the App store if it's not approved by Apple. And the approval process if far from a walk in the part. Apps have been suddenly pulled from the app store without notice because it incorrectly used some API method... :-/

Android also offers another advantage, it runs on everything. iOS only on one: the iPhone.
If you want a smartphone with a physical keyboard, or a smaller smartphone, or one with a longer battery life, or with some other feature Apple doesn't deem worthy: tough luck.

There's also the issue that iPhones are 3 or 4 times as expensive. If you use your (smart)phone only casually as most people do, the price simply isn't worth it.

This is purely from a "user perspective" by the way, I never did any development on either platforms so I can't compare them on that level.

There's a lot more to be said about this, but it's getting a bit OT...