View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th June 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
I'll never understand why people insist on tinkering with their kernel... it's like a person rewiring their new cars electrical system an hour after purchasing it.

If you want a slightly faster boot time, use instead config(8), Any performance gains from customizing GENERIC will be *very* negligible.

Also, don't mess with the CFLAGS, while it's common practise for Linux users to add "optimizations", they're unnecessary and often *dangerous* when messed with.

It might depend on their background as to why some rebuild their kernel.
Some, like myself, may have come from FreeBSD (early releases) where the first thing you did was rebuild your kernel to enable/disable items you needed. IIRC, even pcm was disabled in GENERIC kernel. I would have to double-check my 3.x, 4.x cd's to verify, but the basic GENERIC kernel was very basic
I think the OpenBSD kernel would be similar to the older FreeBSD LINT kernel (hope I got the name right). A person copied needed items from that to a new kernel and rebuilt it.
Perhaps that's why some want to tinker. I had to build quite a few linux kernels in the earlier days so that even nowadays, the habit is strong enough to think of before I realize that I'm using OpenBSD and all I need to do is use "config -ef /bsd" to get what I want/need

Perhaps on the faq webpage, for the link to customizing a kernel, there should be a link to a page that just says "NO, DON'T, use config instead" and leave it at that