View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2014
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cravuhaw2C View Post
If anyone had opted to use the "Expert Install" option of Debian, you would have realized how easy and intuitive the simple GUI was.
The "expert" install is actually the only useful installer. It's also dead easy for new users. The GUI installer is a pointless duplication of an already working installer with less configuration options. The installer is just there to get the OS installed, after that you don't want to see it. The OpenBSD installer works, so I don't see the problem, nor see why the comparison with other OS' installers is relevant.

You need to stop comparing and discussing other operating systems. If you like how those other OS or Linux distributions do things then you have the option to just use Linux. I don't see the problem.
Quote:
mathematically challenged.
I'm severely mathematically challenged, yet somehow managed to create two partitions. On my first install of 5.4 I went for the auto partitioning, but that did not leave me with enough space on / so I reinstalled and had to sit in front of it for about half an hour read the manual and work out the basics of fdisk's interactive mode. Somehow I managed it. When I installed 5.5, I had to relearn it as I'd forgotten how to do it...

Quote:
I was a bit shocked by the advisory in the official FAQ in which first time users are discouraged from installing OpenBSD in a multi-boot environment. No such advisory exists for Gentoo, ArchLinux, Mandriva, Debian and Ubuntu
Yet those distros' forums are not awash with new users who have accidentally hosed their systems and nuked their windows into oblivion....?

Quote:
I now understand why. It's because users are required to have good math skills to be able to calculate C/H/S or LBA sector values.
No this is not the reason.

Quote:
If OpenBSD is to gain a wider acceptance among the public, it has to find ways to make the installation routine more user-friendly, or should I say, more novice user-friendly.
So if the installation routine is dead easy even a monkey can do it... then the set up of the OS and installation of software requires some skills/work on your part - as is currently the case - what then? Why have an easy installer if you're not also going to have an easy OS?

Last edited by blackhole; 14th July 2014 at 08:11 AM.