View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennky View Post
I have firefox 3.0.11 installed from ports but current version firefox-3.0.17 that there are a few security patches.
Firefox 3.5.7 is available to OpenBSD -current users. With the issues you have experienced, it is not advisable for you to move to -current. Nevertheless, this is an option. -current users are expected to understand the material in the FAQ, & have the skill set needed to run software which still has rough edges.
Quote:
Ok but do you think that the applications installed from openbsd ports secure?
Security is not a binary condition. Running the latest version does not instantly make one "secure". In fact, you may not even be "more secure". You should look at the entire environment in which you are connected to the Internet -- client system, firewall, & ISP -- and assess everything together. Fundamentally, "security" means managing & accepting the risks currently in place. Singling out only the browser & stating to yourself, "I've got to be running the latest browser, & then I will be secure!" without understanding what your ISP is doing, & controlling what reaches your home network with a firewall is not understanding security at all.

You are also advised to read Section 15.1 of the FAQ.