View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th December 2010
Port Guard

Hmmm...(thinking, reading, thinking, reading)

Well, in spite of your excellently worded reply, I know there is still something fundamental I'm just not grasping.

Suppose that two computers are connected to a router and are installed with OpenBSD with the following hostname@domainname:
bilbo@shire.middleearth
frodo@mtdoom.middleearth

First of all I am imagining that each of these exist within the routers domain:

(some higher level domain name)
|
<router's domain-name>
/ \
middleearth middleearth
/ \
mtdoom shire
/ \
frodo bilbo

Am I correct in thinking this? And if I registered a new domain name, would it then take the place of my router's domain name? Something about this doesn't seem right!

If my computer is in a private network with about 2 other computers, it would seem completely unnecessary to specifying the domain name during OpenBSD installation (i.e. if all the computers share the router's domain name, then really they just need unique hostnames; in the above example, the domain middleearth, mtdoom, and shire, are useless)

To be honest, I didn't really know what to put when OpenBSD asked so for a domain name I put "^_^" which it gladly accepted (I installed disconnected from my LAN) so now I'm wondering what if I set up two computers with OpenBSD with exactly the same hostname and domain name?

*looks up* hmm, sorry for the longish reply, and thanks in advance (again) to anyone that cares to give their input!

Jack