View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2012
bsdstudent

If freezing is symptomatic of bad OS performance then I'd say : OpenBSD almost never freezes on this laptop , while I use it at times as a full desktop (gnome/kde) with lost of GUI applications running at the same time .. this was not the case with PcBSD.On a 8 giga flash stick OpenBSD installs & runs well ! when I first tried installing PcBSD on that very stick it installed but hang on boot and never got on to fancy Kde4.

Is this Equation correct?
Security/Reliability + Usability = Good Performance.
Doesn't it lack a human factor : one's ego : me .. me .. me ? What I'd be using/expecting ..
Doesn't it lack a machine factor : the hardware with all its + & - ? AMD 64 intel athlon ppc ..
I used httrack to mirror big edu sites once on Windows : Fiasco , as data size gets bigger & you can't do extra tasks with ease.In OpenBSD : I was on fvwm , httrack xterms filled 3 to 4 screens : that makes : 12 mirroring instances for days .. It never froze.
Good Performance : offering maximum functionality with minimal/zero undesirable consequences.On Compaq Mini CQ10-130SE : Win** overheats machine while boastfully serving you a Gui+IE.This was not the case with NetBSD/OpenBSD : they serve X + full unix functionality that a Unix average user would expect using .. this without smothering the machine.
Quote:
FreeBSD developers tend to use Macs/Macbooks for their workplace instead of FreeBSD
It's most likely they have to .. (eg. MacOsX's Vmware Fusion is the best emulation product that ever existed .. so they can test & evaluate FreeBSD with more ease while still working on the desktop .. smooth trans between guest & host unfound elsewhere)