View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppermine View Post
These discussions have been seen in bsdforums at least few times. Although the time passes, but some close to heart features as flash, WLAN, USB automounting are still not the shiniest side of FreeBSD.

The people talking that FreeBSD is server OS are right. In my opinion. If you are just willing to learn new things, you will discover that you can avoid significant pain by avoiding either broken hardware or just trying to run everything (!) on one OS or box. For example, I have stopped to try running BSD on my laptop. It is time Consuming! Note the capital letter. Instead, I have found Ubuntu or even Mac OS X better suited for this.

Yes, the FreeBSD hasn't received much attention from software developer side as linux has, but it is rock solid! These are not just loud words. The surveys (I found the Netcraft's) says that most hacks ever done by percent are done on linux-driven boxes! Even the Microsoft is behind. The BSDs are one of the strongest ... however, also they are secure as you make them. The operating system and on the other side - service/daemon/application/(whatever) security are NOT equal!!!
No OS except BSD can accept tremendous loads received on very responsible web servers. Not linux, not IIS ... ))) but BSD!

Yes, you guessed! I am FreeBSD fan... if FreeBSD will keep basic traditions as true UNIX, it will stay my only server OS.
What's so difficult about automounting on FreeBSD? What about USB support? USB support on my end is great, and automounting with Hald and Dbus is as good as it was on Linux. WLAN is a problem for all Unixes, other than Mac OS X.

FreeBSD is time consuming for those who don't need or appreciate the level of customization that it offers. How often have you needed to do a fresh install of FreeBSD on a box? How often has it broken? I've used over 20 Linux distributions, and Linux is much the same in respect to Windows that installs of distributions that offer unique package management systems break over time. What say you to Gentoo or Slackware? FreeBSD may be time-consuming at first to setup for the desktop, but it's easy to maintain, and the lack of maintenance required saves you time in the long run. That's true for all Unixes besides Linux. They're all relatively self-maintaining.

By the way, I do agree with you that if you want BSD Unix on a laptop easily, then you might as well get a MacBook or Pro and run Mac OS X on it. You can then stick MacPorts on it, install X11, and you'll be good to go.