View Single Post
Old 27th August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbak View Post
Well, in order port the flash player, we would need the flash player source code. I don't see us (legally) getting the flash player source code without purchasing adobe.
Current market capitalization is $23Bn. I'll chip in a few dollars, if you are up for it.
The FreeBSD Foundation could fund Adobe as Sun did/does for the Solaris port. It all comes down to how much money the Foundation has. Currently, there's ongoing discussions on the mailing lists about funding Sun for a VirtualBox port. I've found only one discussion of porting Flash; most people seem to be content with the current state of Flash and are looking forward to Flash 9 on 8.0R (Flash 9 works rather well in the 8-CURRENT branch where Linuxulator is at 2.6.16 by default and has more features). I think that sound virtualization (Xen and Virtualbox) support is more urgent than Flash support. Some people may want Flash, but I doubt even vast majority of people who use FreeBSD as a desktop want Flash support. Our best bets with respect to Flash is swfdec and gnash. It's best for F/OSS to support those in the long-run too. (By the way, I don't care about Flash.)