View Single Post
Old 11th December 2013
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
You may be interested in the following splinter project from FreeBSD:

http://www.pcbsd.org/

...as it attempts to provide a desktop-oriented solution. As this discussion has progressed, it appears that you are looking for something similar to Ubuntu, but in the *BSD world. Perhaps PC-BSD provides something towards that solution.

Could the other *BSD family members provide something similar? Yes, but I have no knowledge of such efforts are taking place. The desktop environment has different needs from the embedded or server market(s), & I suspect the projects see the desktop as a special, specific application environment.
Yes, PC-BSD is a start.

But it does only package the existing desktop solution on top of FreeBSD, which have the limitations I stated above.

Anyway, it may appear I came across as aggressive in some of my posts. It is not my intention to inflame passions or to criticize the developers. I am just expressing what I feel seems to be a much neglected area of the BSD world for some time. I understand the historical, technical and political reasons for this as well. Around the time when I tried out FreeBSD 5, there wasn't as much difference between Linux and BSD on the desktop. But since then, the gap appears to have widened a lot.

Last edited by harishankar; 11th December 2013 at 07:22 AM.