View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th July 2008
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kTk View Post
Some (maybe) strange errors in the boot log.
The first one is "FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST" as shown below:
I don't believe that's anything to worry about. pretty much the kernel scanning the optical drive to see if there's anything in it.

Quote:
And last I am wondering why my HD isn't running SATA300 (it should as it is what it is set to).
some SATA-300 disks, like Seagates, have a jumper that can be removed (usually) or installed (less commonly, if at all) to enable SATA-300 mode; others, like Hitachis, require a firmware-management utility to enable SATA-300. I don't know how Samsung did things for their SPxxx disks.

EDIT: whoops, I guess I glossed over "it is what it is set to". so all I can really say to that is "are you sure?" Or maybe that's somehow covered by the patch below, though that doesn't seem likely.

I actually took a look at Samsung's site and searched for your HD model and didn't find any general information (must be an older disk?), but I did see this: http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...bbs_msg_id=124

I'm not sure whether it's related to your problem, but if your disk is from that time period and you haven't installed that patch, it may be worth a shot.

sorry, no ideas about the questions I didn't quote.

Last edited by jbhappy; 26th July 2008 at 04:01 AM. Reason: can't read