View Single Post
Old 17th October 2009
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Another question along the line of having more recent packages in OpenBSD. The new NetBSD pkgsrc, which I understand can be bootstrap'd to OpenBSD is available.
I was probably the last person to successfully bootstrap pkgsrc on OpenBSD.
I did that for education purposes. It took me half day of hunting for bugs
on pkgsrc mailing list and fixing them to do that. Pkgsrc is not reliable on any platforms other than NetBSD and DragonFly. You can safely bet that
any application which requires X to run will fail to compile or fail to run after compilation.

Quote:
I'm thinking about doing a core OpenBSD install on a ViaC3 machine (NetBSD is difficult to install on this particular cpu) and then trying the new NetBSD pkgsrc. My initial thought is I should use the version of Xorg that comes with pkgsrc in my quest for a lightweight desktop.
Where do you come with ideas like that? Running X on ViaC3 machine. Using OpenBSD with pkgsrc.

Quote:
FreeBSD gives me an interupt storms with my atheros and ralink wireless cards otherwise it would probably be the best choice
Why would exactly FreeBSD be the best choice?

Quote:
My question is if this is a realistic way to go? Is it more a gleam in the pkgsrc developers eye or does it really work in practice?
NO, absolutely NOT!!! Pkgsrc doesn't work in practice on anything else except NetBSD and DragonFly BSD. It is completely untested. The last time
anybody from pkgsrc bootstraped pkgsrc on OpenBSD was probably around OpenBSD 3.4 or something like that so more than 5 years ago. You can also trace on DragonFly mailing list how much effort was involved in making pkgsrc really working on DragonFly. pkgsrc is relatively poorly documented and poorly tested even on NetBSD.

Last edited by Oko; 17th October 2009 at 01:36 AM.