View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th September 2009
Shell Scout

Hi,

This morning I re-checked every configuration file and found out that I was having some wrong entries in /etc/hosts - after we changed the ISP seems like that I forgot to update /etc/hosts file as well. I guess I was just too tired last night and didn't notice this

Fixing /etc/hosts fixes the startx issue.

In the internal network the gateway is also a DHCP server - so it sends the clients the right DNS servers. But however I also re-checked the resolv.conf file on the gateway and yes - it was containing the old DNS servers (another thing that I just didn't notice last night )

So I fixed the resolv.conf entries and did a reboot - just for sure.

Results are as follows:
  • Windows clients are still able to perform a faster ping-ing than the BSD systems
  • Ping-ing remote hosts from BSD systems takes a lot till the actual ping starts - probably DNS resolving is taking more time?

Doing an nslookup from Windows clients sometimes returns this, sometimes resolves normally:
Code:
> nslookup youtube.com
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address <dns-server1>: Timed out
*** Can't find server name for address <dns-server2>: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  <dns-server1>

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
Resolving the same host from BSD - resolves normal and even faster:

Code:
nslookup youtube.com
Server:         <dns-server1>
Address:        <dns-server1>#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   youtube.com
Address: 74.125.127.100
Address: 74.125.67.100
Address: 74.125.45.100
I guess that the Windows nslookup is doing a reverse lookup of the DNS servers as well, so that's why it gives this errors, but I don't understand why I get DNS request time-out?

After these tests I assume that now BSD systems make a faster DNS lookup and Windows clients sometimes fail to resolve - so I can exclude the possibility that DNS lookups are slower in BSD.

I'm outta of other ideas for now. I'll play later with tcpdump and check what goes inside and outside of the gateway.

Thanks again for the feedback, I'm open to accept other ideas as well to resolve this issue

Useful links: FreeBSD Handbook | FreeBSD Developer's Handbook | The Porter's Handbook | PF User's Guide | unix-heaven.org