View Single Post
Old 7th July 2011
Package Pilot

Download-1 - - 413 MB – about 5 hours:
FreeBSD-9.0-CURRENT-2011-04-01-amd64-disc1.iso
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201105/

The beef about this one is above.

.................................................. ..

Download-2 - - 1 GB – took over 12 HOURS:
FreeBSD-9.0-CURRENT-201105-amd64-dvd1.iso
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/201105/

This time I try to install in VirtualBox and it stopped on the first page:

[thread pid 0 tid 100000]
Stopped at acpi_install_wakeup_handler+0xd9: movq %r15,0x88(%r12)
db>

... and on a real-partitions on a fresh HDD, after the install I get:

Unable to find device node for /dev.ad4s1b in /dev!
The creation of filesystem will be aborted.

Finally found somewhere else:
Download-3 - - 653 MB – in about 20 minutes
FreeBSD-9.0-CURRENT-201105-amd64-dvd1.iso
http://ftp2.freebsd.org/mirror/FreeB...pshots/201105/

This is another DVD of the same versions and date. Check these web sites and you see they are of difference size if someone did not change things already. 1-GB vs 653MB and they both are suppose to be the same version. Is this normal or is Beastie right... pure desperation with lost of concentration. It took near exact 12 hours for a 1-GB download as I sleep and I got this one else where in under 30 minutes ... Hummm, even Microsoft don't get that busy ??? .. Anyway, this is what I got for my last few, brand new, DVD's and I am not happy.

Quote:
I install 9 about a month ago on an extra machine and did not encounter this issue. And as I reacall it defaulted to UFS for myself.
Thanks roddierod, now I see the light. I bet you gave the whole HDD to the OS. Why would you not. Ninety percent of ALL users do and it is the dream of any OS writer, even me if I was one. I think I can get it to work or just wait until release. It could be my so-called Gigabyte-890-GPA motherboard jack-up BIOS's... Hardware choose MS$ above any. Either that or something got changes... Look at the size mix-up below

Anyway, at boot it boot to this, again:

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

That to singe-user-mode on it's own.

After that it goes here every time but in difference order and than quit. Keyboad is gone and I have to pull-the-plug:

SMP: AP CPU #1 LAUNCHED!
SMP: AP CPU #2 LAUNCHED!
SMP: AP CPU #3 LAUNCHED!

... and it destroyed the FAT-32 partition that was 2nd on the disk and I only made slices for up to 30GB on the 40GB UFS partition.

OK, This time I gave the install a COMPLETELY unformatted HDD, and here is what it looks like if you accept the GUIDE. Notice it gave me two boots ...

Quote:
And BTW to sharris, ZFS people tell you "DO NOT USE HARDWARE RAID!"
Randux, 2 boots for the price of one... This should make you believe your own story

ada0 .. 74 GB .. GPT

ada0p1 ... 64 kb ... freebsd-boot
ada0p2 .... 5 GB ... freebsd-ufs
ada0p3 .. 5.0 GB ... freebsd-ufs
ada0p4 .. 5.0 GB ... freebsd-ufs
ada0p5 .. 5.0 GB ... freebsd-ufs
ada0p6 ... 20 GB ... freebsd-ufs
ada0p7 ... 64 GB ... freebsd-boot
ada0p8 ... 32 GB ... freebsd-ufs .. /
ada0p9 .. 1.7 GB ... freebsd-swap

Bottom line, at release time if Partition-Commander show me a red ring at the top of the long cylinder image and all of my other PRIMARIES are gone and only BSD remain, FreeBSD-9.0 +++ is HISTORY! Even you want to be KING. Look at the MAC, he has his own agriculture to rule over. Every OS writer knows Windows-8 to Windows-9 is up to something. They all are running wild because they know there is only room for two real WINNERS. I forgot what's it call but I read about something like this a few years back, where consumers will no longer owns their machines. It will be owned by a single operating system on tailored Hardware ... making hacking for ownership and privacy, impossible. It will only share you and yours with Face-Book, tweeter and the LAW for your own protection. How lovely... and to boot you still have vBOX ... One ruling OS over many (pee-ons) is the plan.

I hope I'm just speculating but if it turns true, I got my plan-2. When the day come, "it works for you and not for him", that's is D-END of operation snow-ball.

Btw: Finding things like this don't turn me on but it keeps me on my toes because this could destroys all of my/our hard work and enthusiasm all in a day. Just like it did for DOS, AT, XT, i386, including Windows-98. They all got kick to the curb, face down, or was it belly-up ... heehee

.. and it's nothing but the way of Todays Technology.

I tried hard. You do the math, I'll just wait!

Last edited by sharris; 7th July 2011 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Making sure version are in-order.