View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st May 2019
Package Pilot

Default Guide to play Jagged Alliance 2 on Openbd

A simple guide to play Jagged Alliance 2 on OpenBSD.

Applications:
- Jagged Alliance 2 is a tactical role-playing game. You need the game because: "data files from the original game are still required and will be used by JA2-Stracciatella", take a look at GOG.com for example. I use the game from GOG for this guide.
- Jagged Alliance 2 Stracciatella, "an improved, cross-platform, stable Jagged Alliance 2 runtime".
- Innoextract. "Inno Setup is a tool to create installers for Microsoft Windows applications. innoextract allows to extract such installers under non-windows systems without running the actual installer using Wine".

1) Install, use root
# pkg_add ja2-stracciatella
# pkg_add innoextract

2) Get data files for Jagged Alliance 2
a) Download the game from your gog account. Extract the setup:
$ mkdir jagged_alliance_2
$ mv setup_jagged_alliance_2.exe jagged_alliance_2/
$ cd jagged_alliance_2
$ innoextract setup_jagged_alliance_2.exe

b) You installed the game under Windows? Copy the folder to you home.
c) You have the CDs? At the moment I do not know how to extract the data files.

3) "Start the launcher and use it to configure the game. It will automatically create the configuration file":
$ ja2
$ cd /home/YOUR_USER/.ja2
Edit ja2.ini:
$ vim ja2.ini or $ leafpad ja2.ini or whatever you have to edit a file.
data_dir = /home/YOUR_USER/jagged_alliance_2/app
As the documentation said: "You have to select the directory that contains the directory called “Data”. Do not select the “Data” directory."

4) Launch the game:
$ ja2 -res 1024x768 -fullscreen
A resolution of 1024x768 and in fullscreen.

Jagged Alliance 2 is one of my prefer games, I still play it since I bought the CDs in 2005. It deserves a look if you like those genre.

N.B. : I am talking about Jagged Alliance 2 not Jagged Alliance 2: Wildfire and not Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished business. In Gold pack I do not know if it possible.

Last edited by ripe; 1st June 2019 at 09:46 AM.