View Single Post
Old 18th December 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
Henning has told people not to use MP systems as routers because the kernel and pf do not take advantage of them.. but AFAIK he hasn't said anything about the i386 port being faster than the amd64 port.
I found those misc posts, see http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=4107 for a new thread about this

Quote:
As for cranking the {recv,send}space knobs, they typically don't recommend tweaking those either.. 65535/65536 are probably the highest you should set them if you ever do, any higher and you're wasting memory and bandwidth on every connection.
If using 2x65535 speed gives him the equivalent download speed of his laptop directly connected to his D-link router, that proves, it was neither a hardware issue nor an OpenBSD issue.

This was the only point of the exercise, because the size of the receive space will have nada effect when the Atom board will be used as a router.

Quote:
Sorry for going off-topic J65nko, but personally I would recommend against using SOHO router devices.. OpenBSD has 2 PPPoE clients, kernel and userland.
I mentioned in my previous post that kernel PPPoE would be the second option we would explore. But we first want to make sure his board performs well as a router using the most simple configuration.

Please remember that the OP figuratively speaking , just walked out of Uncle Bill Gates' kindergarden, so we go step by step