View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
I have Bluefish in my desktop (Linux distro there) and no problems yet with any kind of files.
According to Wikipedia, Bluefish is originally a Linux application:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluefish_%28text_editor%29

However, it should be noted that they claim that it is written as POSIX compliant. This should mean that it can be ported to different platforms more easily as POSIX is considered to denote lowest common denominator compatibility. Unfortunately, just because developers claim POSIX compatibility doesn't mean that the application really is easily ported.

Also of note from Wikipedia is the statement that the current version is 2.0. You should verify what version you have on your Linux installation.

The current version of Bluefish on OpenBSD is 1.0.7 according to OpenPorts:

http://openports.se/www/bluefish

Why a more recent version has not been ported is probably due to low interest. There are a number of third-party applications in OpenBSD's ports tree which are several versions away from the most current. It's a fact of life.

So while I can empathize with your frustration, you aren't dealing with a situation where an apple (in one environment) can be compared to another apple (in a different environment). I suspect you have a newer version of Bluefish on Linux -- at least newer than the version available on OpenBSD. The behavioral difference between Linux & OpenBSD can most likely be isolated to the following two reasons:
  • Two different code versions.
  • Two different platforms. The Linux source base still has to be modified to run on OpenBSD. Either a bug was introduced in the porting effort, or the bug existed on Linux too, but was fixed in a later revision.
So perhaps this may explain why the same application behaves differently on the two platforms.