View Single Post
Old 1st October 2008
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon
Is one supposed to define $OSRELEASE? All I have is $OSTYPE (freebsd7.0) and $MACHTYPE (i386-portbld-freebsd7.0). I guess calling 'uname -r' would be sufficient (7.1-PRERELEASE in my case).
I decided to use the name OSRELEASE for the env variable since actually, there is no such a variable and that way when you run the program it will use it's value.

If you for example run FreeBSD 6.2 and want to install a package which is included in FreeBSD-8-CURRENT for example you will need to set $OSRELEASE = 8-current (which is the default behaviour), so the program will fetch the package file from 8-current directory of the FTP server.

I wanted to keep the code cleaner so that way only env variables will do the job.

====
EDIT:
The program is called now `pkg_add_it` - pkg_add interactive interface.

There are a few changes made to the code and I've included also a small but useful feature - a pager.
Now the program uses a pager defined by $PAGER for browsing through the package list.

Also the port has been submitted to the FreeBSD ports tree, so let's hope that it will be added soon to the ports tree
When this happens it will be under ports-mgmt/pkg_add_it

All best,
DNAeon

Last edited by DNAeon; 5th October 2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Program name has changed!!