View Single Post
Old 8th May 2008
More noise than signal

Each user needs .xinitrc in it's home directory to use startx.

If using XDM or GDM, each user needs a .xsession file in its home directory. The .xsession file is used in the same way as the .xinitrc file; in fact they may be the same file, through the use of the ln(1) command.

The "root" user's home directory is /root. A normal user's home directory typically is created in a subdirectory of /home, but the admin may put it anywhere.

Shredder, it seems to me that you need to learn to use a Unix text editor; the most commonly used editors are vi or emacs. The vi(1) program is built in, and there is a subset of the emacs editor also, called mg(1). There are zealots in both camps. I happen to have learned vi many decades ago, so that is what I use. But it matters not what you pick, so long as you learn one of them.

If you'd like to see what a working OpenBSD system with Gnome already installed looks like, I have a LiveDVD of OpenBSD 4.3 with all of Gnome available for download. You can examine .xinitrc and .xsession files (they are the same file on this system), use pkg_info(1) to see what's installed, and see if you like the Epiphany browser or other Gnome tools. If you start the LiveDVD in "graphical" mode it will start XDM for you, if you start in "console" mode you can issue the startx command yourself.

Last edited by jggimi; 8th May 2008 at 01:46 PM.