View Single Post
Old 8th August 2013
More noise than signal

I have time to expand on my "No", above.

Previously, you asked how to eliminate the production of core(5) files, as you had no interest in doing your own debugging of applications. Alphalutra1 gave you an example ulimit shell command, which you dutifully copied and pasted into your $HOME/.profile script.

Whether or not a .core file is produced after an application fails has nothing to do with the application's use of addressable virtual memory. As I stated previously, each process in OpenBSD/i386 has a 4GB address space, with 2GB of that available to the process for application and data. That's all any individual process gets to use.

Once you have taken the time to confirm you are using that 2GB maximum datasize, rather than the 512M default starting value for the "staff" class, if you still have application failures you have three choices:
  1. Use an architecture with a larger process address space.
  2. Find and use another application or OS to meet your needs, that uses address space(s) differently.
  3. Lobby the Gnu Project and convince them to redesign the application to meet your needs.

Last edited by jggimi; 8th August 2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo, clarity, and correction of 4GB (32 bit) address space with 2GB datasize.