View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
Hi gillindu,

Any resizing would have to stay within the NetBSD slice of the disk, which is E8 on your fdisk output and c: on your disklabel output (also, d: on the disklabel output refers to the whole disk).
That far, I think I've already understood "slices", even myself

Quote:
Since there are other extended partitions on either side of the NetBSD one, the possibility of expanding the NetBSD slice would seem to be nil unless you eliminated the neighbours, probably/perhaps not an option for you.
Well, not exactly. The disklabel output might not be very clear, since it isn't listed by order on the disk, but, there is about 40GB of free space *between* the NetBSD partition and the next Linux partition near the end of the disk. (And even if it were not, I could make some space, that wouldn't be a problem.)

Quote:
One thing you could consider is to create a new Linux ext2 partition outside of the NetBSD slice and use it (or redeploy an existing partition).
But, NetBSD wouldn't see it(?) As well as it doesn't see those Linux partitions at the end of the disk.

Quote:
It could be defined in your disklabel to replace one of the other many DOS and Linux partitions if you don't use it from NetBSD. Then the new ext2 one could be mounted in the NetBSD filesystem wherever you want. To create an ext2 that NetBSD can work with you need to use the following options at mke2fs time:
Oh, BINGO! Well... not yet But - a sort of, a halfBINGO Anyway, it was definitely a thing I wanted to know. So, it is possible! Disklabel doesn't need to comprise contiguous partitions. So, how could I do it. What should I do to pull a Windows partiton out of it?

Quote:
This is admittedly not the ideal solution but it could be considered to get something workable if other ideas don't pan out.
Thank you very much! Now, there is something that, in extremis, I can do (I only need to know how exactly I should deal with disklabel). Of course, I'd still prefer to have a native filesystem. (And I do have a free space!)