View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2012
Too dumb for a smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillindu View Post
That far, I think I've already understood "slices", even myself
Awesome (you had mentioned something about d: so I thought I'd add a comment about it.)

Quote:
Well, not exactly. The disklabel output might not be very clear, since it isn't listed by order on the disk, but, there is about 40GB of free space *between* the NetBSD partition and the next Linux partition near the end of the disk.
You're quite right. I had just assumed your fdisk E9 was located contiguous at the end of the NetBSD E8, without checking. But yup there's 40Gig in between there.

Quote:
But, NetBSD wouldn't see it(?) As well as it doesn't see those Linux partitions at the end of the disk.
Well, I assume all those DOS and Linux partitions were added by default, until the disklabel capacity to hold more partition references was full. But if you're not using one of those DOS/Linux disklabel entries, you can get rid of it and put in a new definition of your own. In this way you can reference one or more partitions that you really want. Just edit the disklabel.

Quote:
So, it is possible! Disklabel doesn't need to comprise contiguous partitions. So, how could I do it. What should I do to pull a Windows partiton out of it?
You'll have to begin by studying carefully the disklabel(8) man page. You'll probably want to use the -e flag, which will edit it with what's in your EDITOR environment variable (e.g., emacs, vi). Then you just have to over-write, in the editor, one of the existing DOS or Linux entries with the start, size and filesystem type of the new ext2fs partition you really want to access. The overall format should be the same as you see for existing Linux entries.

Disklabel can be confusing and scarey at first, and it is very important to be careful not to trash any entries you want to keep, because this is after all how the OS tries to find them and you don't want it going off into the wrong part of the disk!