View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
In this way you can reference one or more partitions that you really want. Just edit the disklabel.
So, what my proceeding should look like?
1st step: fdisk, to expand the slice? I think I've found something about somewhere in forums. Is it right? (If I should do it) can I do it from NetBSD (or, maybe, it should be done just after the boot prompt, by pressing a key and running a command?) and would it be safe for my /dev/wd0a and /dev/wd0h? (Of course, if I "expand" it the wrong way, it would be very unsafe )
2nd step: disklabel editing
3th step:newfs or something, to create the new fs.
Is that proceeding correct, or maybe I should first create the fs and only then to edit disklabel?

Quote:
You'll have to begin by studying carefully the disklabel(8) man page. You'll probably want to use the -e flag, which will edit it with what's in your EDITOR environment variable (e.g., emacs, vi). Then you just have to over-write, in the editor, one of the existing DOS or Linux entries with the start, size and filesystem type of the new ext2fs partition you really want to access. The overall format should be the same as you see for existing Linux entries.

Disklabel can be confusing and scarey at first, and it is very important to be careful not to trash any entries you want to keep, because this is after all how the OS tries to find them and you don't want it going off into the wrong part of the disk!
Tell me it!