#9   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th January 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
WAIT
I'm stock-still

Quote:
If either of these are possible you would have a "new" partition, which you would make an ext2 file system
Oh, you were still talking about ext2...

Quote:
after studying the man page carefully.
I did it, several times. But, I'm still missing something, I still don't feel I've understood... probably because I should know something I don't know. For example:
It says:
Code:
disklabel -e -r sd0

Read the on-disk label for sd0, edit it and reinstall in-core as well as
     on-disk.
What does "in-core" mean? And where should I install the disklabel - "in-core", "on-disk", or both?
Also, I would feel more comfortable to export the label first to a "protofile" and edit that file, rather then editing directly. Should I apply the option -W to re-import it?
And also, I don't understand the relation between disklabel, installboot and maybe something else... (although it's already another pair of shoes... see the "P.S:" at the bottom)

Quote:
Again, this is my original alternate approach, nothing to do with expanding things.
Well, it's rather logical, if we're talking about ext2 (Although I would certainly make it wrong, without your option). I'll keep this solution as (a relatively simple) last thing, if nothing else comes out, but, I'll wait another couple of days since I'd really prefer to have a 4.2BSD fs. I think that an ext2 could potentially be dangerous. I certainly wouldn't mount it from Linux and above all I wouldn't mount it rw, nor I'd have it in (Linux) /etc/fstab... but, I might run a LiveCD and, you know, those new LiveCD's, these days, may like to mount whatever they find, since some people may believe it a good way to please as much Windows converts as possible - they'd be able to play with their C: as soon as the CD starts and they'd find Ubuntu to be a "cool thing".
But, anyway, you gave me another idea, not related to this particular problem: I might create an ext2 partition to be used as a "parking" place for VM-ware guest OS's, both for NetBSD and Linux.

P.S. Let me explain: This NetBSD is a "reincarnation" of an old NetBSD I used to have, but, that became unbootable with the new motherboard. I've managed to "resurrect" it recently by upgrading it to 5.1.1.x. That old NetBSD, at the begining, used to have a boot menu with 3 options: NetBSD, Windows and Linux (Grub on another drive). At some point, after an incident (I don't remember what it was), I've lost the boot menu. I've been able to rescue it, but, with the only option "1.Windows" (!?) I have still been able to boot to NetBSD since my Windows bootloader has had the NetBDS boot image (or via Grub on another disk). and it's same now, with this "resurrected" NetBSD. Even if I press "0" or "2", I get something like "? Error". Of course, it's not an issue, but, it's still a bit annoying, since I can't boot directly to NetBSD. Maybe while I'm around disklabel, I might fix it too?