View Single Post
Old 29th January 2012
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
So I think a good idea would be to do this disklabel editing from a booted install CD.
You've answered before I asked! All you've said sounds very reasonable to me (although it doesn't prove anything ) and I really hope it will work. Oh, just another question and I hope it will be the last one Can I prepare a "protofile" in advance, edit *that* file and then, from the install CD shell, just load the edited copy? And what exact command should I use? However, i think I'll wait a bit, to have a really fresh mind when I do it

Quote:
Comments from others on this are welcome!
I couldn't agree more!

Quote:

It's good to be cautious like that. If I understand -W right, it sounds like it is allowing writes by other programs (not disklabel). So i don't see why you'd need that.
I've just wandered whether I'd need it. Because the man page states:
Code:
  -N    Disallow writes to the disk sector that contains the label.  This
           is the default state.
Of course, I'll first try wuthout "-W".

Quote:
I don't think this can be fixed with disklabel. It sounds complicated, and since I don't use Windows or Grub, I might only be of peripheral help with it. FWIW, I install LILO on the MBR and boot NetBSD with an "other = /dev/hdaX" entry. There are many ways to boot, however, and no reason you should do it this way.
Well, I already have at least two ways to boot to NetBSD. I was just looking for a way to be able (as I used to be, at the begining) to bypass the foreign boot loaders and to boot directly to NetBSD. However, never mind...