View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010
Banned

I managed to grab a copy of the video using an extension for the Mozilla Firefox browser, had you have reduced the size of your home partition the duration of the video would have been shorter.

The installation proceeds properly, but as I stated, after you type reboot and the BIOS post "splash" finishes, it boots the 'bsd' kernel.

Since at 4.7, the installer automatically uses 'bsd.mp' and renames the single-processor kernel to 'bsd.sp'.

While the boot> prompt is visible, type boot /bsd.sp and see if it continues to panic.

The first panic does seem to be occurring sometime while initializing the audio hardware, azalia(4), If the single-processor kernel fails at the same point, try booting into UKC and disabling 'azalia'.

The second panic is related to there being no alternative legacy MP/multiprocessor mappings for pre-ACPI OS's (..hence my suggestion to boot without utilizing the other cores).

Try the single processor kernel:
boot> boot /bsd.sp
Or enter kernel config:
boot> boot -c
UKC> disable azalia

If this works, you won't have sound.. but at least you'll have a working system, and form there can help the developers (..not us) provide additional clues.

You might also want to try burning a snapshot release to a CD and seeing if this has been fixed in -CURRENT yet.

Good luck.

Last edited by BSDfan666; 18th May 2010 at 04:40 AM.