View Single Post
Old 5th June 2008
ISO Quartermaster

My favorite is Arch. However, I confess, since this job change, I've gotten an affection for CentOS for its stability and Fedora for...I dunno, just because. I could make lists of all the things that irk me about RH distros, or any distro, but shucks, any O/S makes you think about the things its lacking that you could get from another.

Whether or not you know what you're doing, the support that is given RH based stuff can be helpful. It saves time googling because some developer was too darn lazy to write two lines of documentation to save thousands of people hours.

That is, of course, not fair--I think that what usually happens is that developers know the program and forget to write the things that they take for granted that others have to figure out.

If this is a hobby type thing, then choose anything. If it's work related, choose something supported--for instance, if you have to learn to use cacti (Hi Ai-danno) it will keep you busy enough--you don't want to have to spend 45 minutes figuring how to get it installed on your system.