View Single Post
Old 20th July 2012
bsdstudent

Hi vermaden ! I avoid adobe flash because it's been a security risk .. I use gnash+firefox .. and youtube-dl to download flash .. months ago , I fell in love with minitube :-) As for emulation , I pragmatically believe that a better way is using live cds/usbs , or simply dual-booting. As for Opera , I always use it on OpenBSD (despite it's being a closed source) .. its compilation is quite easy and fast .. (fedora_base , groff etc ) .. Nvidia : I have GeForce on Acer Aspire but really never bothered its existence .. I never go gaming ..OpenBSD doesn't claim being a gaming platform eventhough it does provide emulators like stella/mednafen/dosbox/zsnes .... and pop games PcBSD can't be a Linux-Killer as far as gaming is concerned .. it is as a matter fact a beginner's gateway toward BSD World .. other challenging gateways are on the way. Graphical utilities : what's the use having them while CLI works ? don't they threaten a user to learning about his OS internals etc ? and the PBI-way as graphical bundling too , doesn't it contradict UNIX & BSD philosophy? ( I'm asking to show that PcBSD dosn't do something OpenBSD cannot but simply doesn't consider doing because philosophies and thus concerns differ ) you mentioned graphical network management : I've never found as easier as OpenBSD's method : ifconfig/hostname.infterface0/netstart .. PcBSD doesn't help the user as learner .. and when it seems to do so : then it would be autokilling : that is : dropping PBIs for ports and dropping Graphical utils for CLI tweaks .. a waste. we forget sometimes that some 'OpenBSD's missing features' are due to the small Project Team , so focus is on priorities .. whereas some are developpers security-decisions OpenBSD really "makes me feel good" as newbie and am sure it will make me feel better as I advance in learning :-) & Respect to all BSDs.