Thread: The Ramble
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2008
Fdisk Soldier

I to have a rant about MS Office 2007

At our office I've been running a samba server for like ever, it was one of the first things I've implemented when I started working there. A few weeks ago one of the users told me that for some reason he can't safe his word documents so I had a look at his home dir and all his docs were read only, I though ok this is weird and maybe he did something to them so I fixed it all for him, a few days later he tells me the problem is back. Then this week I needed to use excel for something so I went to one of the computers with MS Office installed and started doing my work, then the same thing happened to me too.

I then decided to look into the problem and it turns out that if you have acl profiling enabled in samba MS Office 2007 safes the file and changes the access to read only.
I thought ok so lets just disable it, problem solved. Yeah right, I was wrong, after I disabled it I had about 10 other users on my back because now Adobe software couldn't safe there stuff.

The solution to my problem was, the people using MS Office have to safe there work on there work station and then at the end of the day they can upload there files to the server. We have more people using Adobe software then MS Office so Adobe won this round.

Maybe this little bug can be fixed in samba, I'll wait for the next version to test it again.