View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2008
Arp Constable

The sources and dependencies seem to be under license terms that I can live with, the service terms I had to agree to for downloading the windows binary, are fairly standard issue enough; and in fact I did agree to the usage statistics thing. I consider the browser to be software with an integration into their search service. Which is not exactly the same as Firefox, which doesn't say anything (in obvious places) about the search engines you use through it's interfaces searchlet.

So far, I actually quite like Google Chrome. The user interface is very lean, there's no real clutter, yet unlike IE7. I can actually find what I am looking WITHOUT LOOKING ALL OVER FOR IT !!!! And I say this, after having used IE7 rarely in the past but quite a lot last month out of need. The "control this page" button/menu in Chrome I think is wonderfully done, and the fonts defaulted to 16pt on the proportional fonts on my test machine. I've set all fonts 2pt larger and find it quite usable on my 1600x1200 screen.

So far I have only two things to cry about, one -- like many browsers it's set to allow all cookies by default. And two -- if there is that, if there *is* a control to restrict websites to a minimal font size, I haven't found it in the past ~5 minutes. Being that I am a person that likes very large fonts (and sit back and with head up at my dual-monitors), that's almost a killer for me: most websites I visit have painfully microscopic font sizes on high resolution displays!!!!

I could care less about the EULA, since it's little different from what I have to put up with to use Googles Search, Docs, and Mail, which I'm 'stuck' with for lack of better. I've also got to live with tons of crappy GNU/Linux oriented OSes on the net, so what's another browser to do.

The only *good* browser I've met is lynx !!!

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.