Thread: BSDForums dead?
View Single Post
Old 29th June 2008
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_H View Post
Yes OpenBSD is to some degree nice, but I do need

-working SMP in terms of speed, not just 'look we have got a dualcore'
-WPA (okay they're at last working on it for 4.4)
-a ports tree which is actually 'really usable' (the best you can get is in current)
-some proper 3D support (okay not their fault)
-some minor annoyances
Serious SMP on the desktop? Please. OpenBSD supports SMP on i386, AMD 64, sparc64, ppc, apple ppc and motorolla 68. And I am not talking Core 2 Duo. I am talking multiple CPUs. That is far wider SMP support than FreeBSD which doesn't have single core support for wide class of SUN's CPUs. WPA is in current. I am using it on the daily base. DRM in enabled in current.

On the another hand FreeBSD is SMP optimized for i386 and AMD and nothing can bit its scalability on motherboards which have up to 16 CPUs. It has ZFS, ULE and it will have DTrace shortly. Nobody claims that FreeBSD is dead for File Servers and Databases. It is alive and better than ever You have to agree on that one with me. It should be a logical choice for file and database server use over Linux on any non-proprietary hardware.

Speaking of the OpenBSD ports three I am amazed that so few people can do even that much. OpenBSD team has 100 people and maybe that much more who are playing with ports. FreeBSD has 200 people core team thousands of commiters and probably 100 times bigger user base. There are also philosophical differences. OpenBSD much like RedHat is incremental distro. You
are suppose to update port three once in 6 months.
FreeBSD is moving target like Debian. People keep upgrading and compiling until they get sick of it and then adopt incremental strategy. For all practical purposes fresh installation of FreeBSD every six months is more than enough for most users.

Last edited by Oko; 29th June 2008 at 11:54 PM.