View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th May 2013
Too dumb for a smartphone

I'm a long-time Slackware user (since 1997), but probably not well versed in the culture as I've mostly just bumbled along on my own.

About the harmless wireless nick error, I get it too for that iwconfig command. Although, I don't configure my wireless device in rc.wireless.conf so have probably never had the error noted while booting. Linux wireless tools seem to have gone through a few generations of "how things are done", and some of these tools have commands that are not supported by all drivers or devices.

I don't know of a place to look up bug reports (though that doesn't mean there isn't one!). Emails sent to Pat and his team are probably not made public. But looking at the ChangeLog.txt files, there are references to suggestions being picked up from LinuxQuestions.org. So that is probably a good place to look, as you've been doing. It could also be a good place to get comments or gauge interest on your proposed change, should you wish to.

Quote:
Also, is there anything under /etc that you're better off keeping your hands off of?
Well, I'd say anything where you're not sure what you're doing ... unless of course you're willing to fix what you broke.

By way of example, I'll show some files I've changed on my main box. When I change a file, I save a copy of the source (original) version with _SRC appended to the name. So there's:

Code:
/etc/exports_SRC
/etc/login.defs_SRC
/etc/profile_SRC
/etc/hosts_SRC
/etc/fstab_SRC
/etc/nail.rc_SRC
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets_SRC
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets_SRC
/etc/ppp/options_SRC
/etc/mtools.conf_SRC
/etc/sysctl.conf_SRC
/etc/resolv.conf_SRC
/etc/named.conf_SRC
/etc/crypttab_SRC
/etc/services_SRC
/etc/HOSTNAME_SRC
/etc/mail/Makefile_SRC
/etc/mail/local-host-names_SRC
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf_SRC
/etc/mail/aliases_SRC
/etc/mail/submit.cf_SRC
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf_SRC
/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf_SRC
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall_SRC
/etc/rc.d/rc.local_SRC
/etc/rc.d/rc.6_SRC
/etc/rc.d/rc.S_SRC
/etc/smartd.conf_SRC
/etc/issue_SRC
/etc/ssh/sshd_config_SRC
Most of these are obvious to change. I got adventurous with rc.S and rc.6, making substantial changes to the handling of encrypted drives.

There are also some "local" files you can edit:

Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.local
/etc/rc.d/rc.local_shutdown
I use the first extensively, and the second not at all.

It's also worth mentioning

Code:
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules.local
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules-$FULL_KERNEL_VERSION
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules
See the comments in rc.S where one of these is selected for use.

You might find it useful to subscribe to the slackware-security mailing list (it's not very busy) to get prompted about updates to packages.