View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th October 2010
More noise than signal

A friend of mine has a small network of OpenBSD platforms for his organization -- routers and firewalls, primarily, and a few desktops. He has a dedicated build machine, and he builds -current packages approximately once per month for his architecture, which I believe is i386. To the best of my recollection, he told me that a "make package" of the entire ports collection takes somewhere between three and four days on his build server.

Most -release/-stable users should never need to build ports, the exception being only those for which packages are not available.

Those -current users on the popular architectures may be able to reduce their port-building efforts by using pre-built "snapshot" packages that are made available for convenience. Usability will depend on how close the packaging is to the particular -current system they are using, per FAQ 15.4.1.

I build portions of the ports tree for my live media offerings, and that only because building them is necessary. It takes days and days, just to build the software to provision the various workstation environments on two architectures. These port builds easily fit within 25GB or so for each architecture, but that is because I use $BULK, allowing for object erasure as the builds proceed, and there is no individual application as large as ocicat's JDK build, which needs, I think, something on the order of 40-50GB of free space for the objects and source.