View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th February 2011
Port Guard

Hello again!

I wanted to thank you folks for your suggestions. I did try them, but sadly, nothing worked. I've combed the web left right and center and can't find an explanation for the errors I was receiving. I'm beginning to suspect a firmware issue with my systems mobo.

I successfully installed and ran a version of 7.2-RELEASE, and if need be I'll keep using that. Assuming it still works! I attempted a global port upgrade last night and all kinds of weird things happened. The upgrade crashed at mid-point (outside interference), but I was able to reboot and log in as root in console mode. All of my files and user config files appear to be intact in the usr/home/[me] directory, the fstab mounting table still works, and the guts of the system appear to be intact. That says to me that the mess can be repaired. I tried the global port upgrade again, and when I left for work it was still grinding away. (There are a lot of outdated programs in there!) I'm hoping that when the system finally finishes, all will be back to semi-normal. Or at least to a position I can work from.

But if it isn't, well, since I can still access my files as root, I have the final option of backing up my home directory and starting fresh. Though my experience with 8.1 makes me uneasy at that prospect.

Still, just for laughs, I'm currently downloading 8.2-RELEASE and I'll see if I can upgrade or install that version. I'm also getting PC-BSD 8.2 as a "plan B." My system didn't like 8.1, but who knows, it may be okay with 8.2. I figure what have I got to loose? Worst case scenario I can always fall back on 7.2. Better to have an outdated BSD than no BSD at all, says I.