View Single Post
Old 14th June 2008
Arp Constable

Well, I may be very lazy these days but you can blame that on my primary BSD machine having a Sempron Mobile with 512MB DDR instead of a Core 2 Duo with 1024MB of DDR2 ;-)

I normally delete everything (saving changed conf files), then reinstall it with newer packages and ports. Because of the Sempron I usually use packages as much as possible for larger applications rather then ports; backed up packages also help.

In the past I always used portupgrade but got rather tired of it. Now're days, if I was to use ports for _everything_ I would likely adapt portmaster.

I keep a list of programs I want (e.g. pidgin, xgalaga, gimp, etc) and use it to handle the task.

My intention is soon to be placing it fully into automation with backed up and pre-fetched packages. The test machine runs a much faster setup (Pentium D, 2048MB DDR2) so I sometimes will create packages updated on it and transfer them over to the laptop for installation.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.