View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th June 2009
New User

Here's the thing: i'm a student of computer sciences and i needed to make a small project for one of my courses that basically deals with introductory elements of networking. Because we could work in pairs on project, my colleague and i choose to configure firewall on OpenBSD. The colleague already had experience in working with OpenBSD and i wanted to configure simple packet filter firewall. I didn't have any experience with OpenBSD before. Long story short, because of some unforseen circumstances my colleague cannot work with me anymore on the project and so i alone must finish this. Our professor liked the idea so he assigned to us to configure additionaly DNS derver for small internal network inside university building. Because i didn't expected task like that and because now i work alone on that i began to panic, more because no one else i know knows anything about OpenBSD, let alone setting up of a DNS server in it. So please excuse me for all the drama but that's just because i'm afraid i can't finish the project in time.

Internal network that i need to set up DNS for is facing the internet and already haves its DNS server and i need to configure and replace that already existing with my own. The course deals with DNS theory and BIND9 configuration but we didn't learn yet how exactly to set up a DNS server so i was very puzzled when professor said that i have to configure two network cards for DNS to work. And that was pretty much all that he said on the subject.

So i guess that i don't have to set up local caching nameserver nor NAT firewall, only some ordinary DNS server. But for every question i ask professor about some details or adresses i get "you should know that" answer. And i can't read configuration from existing server, so i guess there must be a way to find it with any computer in the network but i don't know how.

At least now i understand what for two network cards are. Thanks for the answer, it explained me a lot.