View Single Post
Old 18th October 2013
More noise than signal

Quote:
the only issue am worried about with 'current' is how stable is it?

At the beginning of Section 5. it talks about bug fixes and patches applied to 'stable' and 'release' branches.

Basically is 'current' ready to be run in production? - or should I just continue running 5.4 and send my dmesg to the email given in the FAQ and hope that in the later releases the driver or fix gets implemented?
Many people use -current in production. I do. But not everyone does.

You already understand that -current is the development branch. What that means:
  • Fixes are applied to -current first. After that, and only if they are applicable to the most recent two releases and do not change libraries or functionality, are fixes developed and committed for -stable, and then if deemed important published as errata. Fixes are sometimes developed first on -stable due to a bug report, but this relatively rare. And in that event, they are usually tested with -current before being committed.
  • New functionality is introduced only in -current. And of course, new functionality introduces bugs. But the risk is not eliminated with the other flavors, it is merely lower. Even break/fix patches will occasionally introduce regressions.