View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2010
Package Pilot

I already know that writing drivers is definitely not an easy thing to do. I've heard from people that do code them that it is hell. So that isn't my goal (as far as short-term vision goes; I will probably get another computer or maybe write drivers in the very, very future but highly likely as I'm not really interested in that subject and there are lots of talented folk who are already doing a pretty good job IMO.

Being an OpenBSD user for some time, I would eventually like to get into the security field and start being able to audit code for zero day exploits, on top of performing the compulsory penetration testing routine as well. The way I see it, the scan for existing issues are just previously known or recently disclosed zero days, so wouldn't it just be better to stay one step ahead in the first place? Granted that code auditing takes much more time (and arguably, skill), this is the reason why I would like to start practicing now and be able to read C in order to start Assembly later on and understand buffer overflows and the related family more, eventually auditing operating systems themselves (the ones written in C, at least).

Does this clarify my intentions better so that I can be given more specific advice?