Thread: widescreen woes
View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th June 2008
Spam Deminer

Xorg is auto-configuring.

Example: I know since the Middle Ages that DRI cannot be enabled on a multi-screen Matrox. Hence I stoopidly wrote to not load DRI.
Xorg had a message such as: DRI disabled, I will load it anyway.

Example: you X -configure and cp xorg.conf.new as xorg.conf without editing.
Spare your time, reduce fingers stress, don't use any xorg.conf file. As xorg.conf.new is just what the autoconfig would have done.

Autoconfigure looks for the highest resolution and color depth natively available.

If you don't get what is expected with recent Xorg's, it is more probably a driver issue.
My case, FreeBSD with Matrox g550, no way to get Xinerama.
http://www.freshports.org/x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga/
"Dual-head doesn't work properly with this version but at least most
single-head setups will work correctly." (sic)

Solution was to grab an older driver than 1.4.7 and compile it.
Whem the last update fails, step back two upgrades.
Works like a charm.
Still does not work on Debian Lenny whatever guides they wrote for XRandR. I gave up trying to compile anything on Linux beyond Slackware.
Never had the slightest problem with any OpenBSD xenocara (current snapshots even have keyboard maps recognition, a source is contributed upstream, expect the feature to be available at oter maintainers).

I would say. if your xenocara does not work as expected, you are out of luck and need to file a PR.
When it works on xenocara, but not on another xorg implementation, there is a problem somewhere in the source or at the maintainer.

Fwiw, I multiboot a 4G USB flash stick first to test configurations or updates (OS, networking, toolchain, X) before I change anything to the hard drive.
Since then I certainly never update anything related to display-mouse-keyboard.