View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th February 2011
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
I was still wondering, how come that video cards can buy farms, that I forgot you are still on 6.2
"Bought the Farm" is an old American idiom that dates back to the Barnstormers after WW I when the pilot crashed his plane and died in a farmer's field in doing so destroyed the crops. His estate was liable for the damage to the farm. So the expression "Bought the Farm" means that he, she, or it has died. The idiom "Gone South" has the same meaning, that has died. When I took the video card out it was hot enough to burn your skin and had a couple of melted electrolytic capacitors.

All kidding aside I really appreciate you help. The RC3 version I downloaded on Friday from ftp10.us.freebsd.org. It was the only one there. I have found the RELEASE version on ftp.5.us.freebsd.org and attempting to download it.

There is one thing that I want to point out is that the xz program that you pointed me to does not work. Running it an error occurs;

$ xz
xz: 33: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

The download file size is 236 KB.
I downloaded the same file from ftp.us.5.freebsd.org and the size was 251 KB.
When I run it I get this.

$ xz
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libthr.so.3" not found, required by "xz"

I need to find the missing piece. It appears that all the sites may not be up to date????

I can't get man to work so that is something I need to look into. No manual entry. I might go the way of the network install and forget creating a DVD for the update. I have never done it and that should be exciting. I need to find some time in the next few days. As I said it is a server and is working just fine with the new card without any Xorg and KDE working.

Thanks again!