View Single Post
Old 21st May 2008
Banned

Both jggimi/ai-danno have excellent explanations, some.. inconsistencies though:

1) BSD stands for Berkeley Software Distribution, not System.
2) It originally consisted of extra utilities/programs for AT&T Unix, they did however start making customizations of the AT&T Unix kernel(BSD Sockets API, TCP/IP, New architecture ports.. etc), eventually they realized how little AT&T copyrighted code remained, and removed/replaced it.. thus, the BSD kernel was born.

I know, Wikipedia is often accredited to lack of trust, but the history and origins of BSD are fairly sound, check it out for a mostly full story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSD

I use OpenBSD, like ai-danno, I enjoy the unprecedented freedom the system offers, (When compared with all others..), as for the current lack of 3d acceleration - It's being worked on, partially working code is already in the tree thanks to oga@

Personally, I don't need 3D acceleration or Flash.. or anything else common folk seem to think important, I'm a minimalist.. plus, the OpenBSD hier is just breathtakingly beautiful.