View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th November 2008
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindev View Post
I couldn't find any honest answers on why, when, and where FreeBSD would not be a good choice.
... most answers you will get are based on individual taste, individual needs and individual experience - so ist mine:

- Ports: in my experience they are clumsy, ineffective and time-consuming (try to compile OpenOffice and you know what I mean).

- poor support for WebVideo and other multimedia applications (i.e. Flash et al.): Gnash & Co. are some kind of a workaround one can live with but almost any Linux-Distribution does it better (and right here right now I don't argue from an ideological point of view about blobs).

- no speed advantages on desktops or laptops.

I ran FreeBSD and Debian for a while on my PC. Both were used for plain average user tasks (surfing the net, writing letters, working on digital photographs, listening to music and so on). I didn't found anything that FreeBSD did better than Debian exept one thing: It's easier to configure a new kernel for FreeBSD.

Well, that sounds quite negative, but I wouldn't say that FreeBSD is a bad OS. No, it's ok, but it didn't serve my needs as good as other OS did (and do). Other people will think totaly different.