View Single Post
Old 5th July 2010
Package Pilot

Thanks you ocicat

Quote:
"Strong working pf example" is a myth. Again, it appears you are wanting a canned solution which can be dropped into place without thought. If you continue playing in the Open Source world, you will find that doing lots of research & experimentation is the norm. Why? Because at some point, you will want to do something a little different, change something, & things will break. You will be the only one who can pick up the pieces, & doing so will require working knowledge of the fundamentals.
I learn more about networking in the past three week than I did in my recent 16 week course "CINT_ NETWORK+ Guide to Networks" which was more about the hardware and a little about the fun parts that you don't really remember, (how-to gateway, router, pfctl, netstat, etc). I got a feeling this will be the majority of the Cert questions. It's funny that our instructor held back on grading, saying, "take the Cert Exam by May 21 and pass and I will increase your final grade to an A". He had given me a B (87%) but three of my assignment still to this day have never been graded which I know I had earned an A++. Crazy... I read a document that said "students should continue their education and than work in the field for a year or two before even attempting to take an Cert Exam". It must be a money release or recognition thing going on in some colleges these days.

Actually, I went back to school to learn Web Site Development, Database and now I got this fall semester to reach Web Administration. If it was not for you motivating me to study PF the proper way, I would just be a dummy with a piece of paper, just learning how-to at somebody networking company. School is good to fire you up but what I just learned in a week would put a second year Networking professional in a state of shock. Not saying I understand it all but every night after 18 hours the computer screen text became fuzzy where I can't see it any longer until I sleep, where I read and test even more as I sleep. So yes ocicat, I been doing my home work and found other ways to skin the cat just in case.

http://blog-rat.blogspot.com/2009/05...ly-vs-nat.html

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/showth...-nat-or-bridge

Anyway, I just need a small LAN to sit behind a router where one machine works as a server running Apache, MySQL and PHP and another machine to browser the web-pages from the internal server, only. This way I can do cross-browser coding in peace (no possible hacking or strange effects from the out-side world causing me confusion). I wanted a dedicated a machine to do some cron screen scraping running off of perl code but since its very little I think the GATEWAY machine may be able to do the job with no problems, I hope.

The reasoning I am writing this is I just realized, THIS set-up I now have may be what I needed all along because the only machine that need to touch the INTERNET is the gateway, so no need to NAT and fight with PPPoE for a while. All of that will fall into place as I learn how to build jails under FreeBSD running Apache and such. This may send me back to NAT, but only internally, so I know I am not out the woods just yet and I don't plan to give up completely for this easy way out.

Just wanted you to know and to send out a big ...
Thanks You

pf-2

PS: And thanks for answering those list of questions so clearly. Some things I just don't get no matter how many time I read that single founded line. I need the full translation to street english. These questions been with me like forever. The kind that get over-looked in the heat of discussion. We all read an answer like "why hide, lets share". Now it's 5, 10 or even 20 years latter when you finally get an answer. I'm a living witness to that fact.

1995: Dollar Bill, how do you divide a zero? ... 2001: A byte has 8 bits, a zero is a byte.

Be back to post solutions soon

Last edited by sharris; 5th July 2010 at 07:36 AM.