View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
It looks like you are trying to use the built in wireless for network printing.
Yes. How could you tell?
Quote:
The manufacturers spec sheet indicates that it supports hp jet direct on port 9100...
Yes. I'd tried 9100@, but not rp=raw and not with apsfilter. Will try later today and report results. Thank you for the printcap example.
Quote:
Other options are to try cups or apsfilter. In gnome/xfce4 network printers can be "discovered' in cups
I dislike CUPS primarily because of lack of diagnositics. I've used it before; if I'm forced to use it again, I will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
Could it be a end of line incompatibility? In other words, it may expect a CR/LF pair (0x0d/0x0a) instead of a single the LF (0x0a). Or horror of horrors maybe it needs a Control-Z.

Just a shot in the dark
Thanks, but if Brother did that they'd be violating RFC 1149 and they have other printers that are known to work with LPD just fine. My thought was they might be using one of their standard operating systems for a less than completely functional printer, and that the OS doesn't know the capabilities aren't actually present. For example, nothing in the specs mentions Postscript or BR Script, but the printer lists on operational Postscript service via Telnet.