Thread: Swift upgrade
View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th November 2010
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
At least you are working locally, but it is unclear from your posts that you have ever run a standard, recommend upgrade, using an upgrade kernel. Understanding what that does, and how that works, will be an asset.
I don't claim to understand fully the installation process, but I have gone through it successfully a few times. The upgrade path, I have never walked before. This will be my first time.

Quote:
The files that are installed during installation or upgrade are:
  • kernels: bsd, bsd.mp, bsd.rd
  • filesets: *.tgz
These items are not defined in the 4.7 to 4.8 page. I appreciate that you listed them.

Quote:
During an upgrade, the etc*.tgz fileset and the optional xetc*.tgz fileset are not installed. They are installed later, often with sysmerge(8) and even then some manual steps may be needed, as outlined in the upgrade guides for each release.
This is very clearly outlined.

Quote:
There are several .iso files available to aid with installations and upgrades. If above your are referring to install48.iso, this is a "...boot and installation CD-ROM image, which contains the base and X sets, so that install or upgrade can be done without network connectivity." This file is designed to be burned to optical media and booted. You will need access to the console, as described above. It is not designed or intended for remote use. It contains the filesets and kernels, on a CD9660 filesysetem. It is not a CD.
Understood. But the upgrade ought to produce the same result no matter the road chosen. Yes, I was referring to the install48.iso. My aim was to "emulate" the CD to get the upgrade going.

Quote:
You can mount the image file and extract the filesets and kernels, using vnconfig(8) and mount(8) or mount_cd9660(8) per FAQ 14.11. Or you can burn and mount the CD.
I will burn a physical disk first, and then take a closer look at the process.

Quote:
Or you can download the individual filesets and kernels, which is what is commonly expected for those who are doing remote installations.
This is what I am trying to accomplish. I'll experiment and report back.