Thread: Unix Popularity
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatux View Post
Yes, I love OS X, but it did take some work to reveal much of the Unix functionality that I'm so used to. If someone can happily fulfill his or her needs with Windows, then there is no point even introducing that person to Unix. The keyword there is happily, which implies that that person doesn't care too much about the operating system. That's not the audience for Unix, and it should never be, because it requires too many changes in Unix.

Personally I don't care what OS people use, as long as they are happy with it, as long as it doesn't drive me crazy, and as long as it doesn't cause problems for me. For example, 90-98% of software I need works under FreeBSD.

10-15% would or might be probmatic to use on a non POSIX-related system.

If it would be the otherway around, I'd bloody well have to use something else for my OS, port the apps, or become someone who virtually only runs code they wrote, which is far from practical these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
forum for Unix enthusiasts (OK there are few professionals around here but most of us a hobbyist like me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
Do we have a poll showing that?
Actually, global server usage is 23% for Win servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko
No I do not. You are welcome to start one and prove me wrong.

I've debating starting such a poll out of curiosity for a few weeks... but have not (yet) out of consideration that it might be taken rudely by some. Maybe it is time?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.