View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th June 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Users of -current should subscribe to the Email change logs for the OS and for ports.
To underscore this latter point, changes to the ports tree will be done at -current first. Some ports will receive multiple updates in a development cycle while some may get one, & others will get none.

Personally, I read source-changes@ & ports-changes@ very carefully. When an application I regularly use is updated, I may upgrade my systems. When something of interest is updated in the base system, I have to gauge whether this is the first of many check-in's related to the issue, or whether everything is now in CVS. Discussions on tech@ & to a lesser extend misc@ will help answer that question.

Having said this, because -current is where all active development occurs, one has to have a specific reason for running code which may be volatile & may not be fully vetted. This is also covered in Section 5.1 of the FAQ.
  • If a new/upgraded feature is only in -current, this may be a reason to use -current.
  • If a newer version of an application is needed, this may be a reason to use -current.
  • If you are tracking down a bug, it is imperative to test on -current before engaging the project developers.
If an honest answer cannot be given to these questions, one should more likely run -release or -stable.

Using -current will mean at some point that mismatched libraries, missing code, & other vagaries will be seen. If this is not something you can deal with, don't run -current.