View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th May 2011
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetus View Post
My uses are as follows:
1. Surf the net as safely and anonymously as possible.
That is just not possible. Especially the second thing.

Quote:
2. Send full screen video files, youtube clips, movies, TV shows ect., from PC to my LCD TV/DVD recorder setup to watchand record (via component, composite, or s-video connectors). Main goal is to replace moneypit Comcast with Internet-TV freesites, like Hulu.
Hulu is Linux specific. Why are you bothering us? There are some good specialized Linux distros which will fit your needs.

Quote:
3. Convert PAL & SECAM TV shows and DVDs to NTSC format. Also use of 'screen capture' & 'frame grabber'.
Code:
man mencoder
Quote:
4. Burn CDs and DVDs (including bootable ones) and copy them.
dvd+rw-tools. For encrypted DVDs you will have to learn how to use libcss and
mencoder.

Quote:
5. Manipulate photos using Photoshos CS3 and GIMP.
I think that the first is misspelling and you meant Photoshop. I am not even sure that Photoshop is available on Linux let alone on *BSD. In BSD world we use little bit more advanced tools like GraphicsMagic.

Quote:
6. Light word processing using Word 2003, Abiword, etc.
That is ridiculous. I would have hard time that Word 2003 works via Wine even on
Linux. Wine does NOT run on most BSDs.

Quote:
7.Secure online shopping
Not theoretically possible.

Quote:
8.Print out Google photos to B&W Laser & color inkjet printers.
There are many printers. Some of them a so called win printers. They require windows OS. Most decent now days can print of USBs and scan on them. They do not even require computer. Most decent printers speak PostScript language. They do not need any drivers to work. I do not know if you have a decent hardware.

Quote:
Graphic card: nVIDIA I guess.
NVidia doesn't have open source drivers for any OS. If you want to use NVidia stick to Windows.

Quote:
TV tuner: whatever works with all three operating systems.
There are no BSD drivers for any tuner cards except bkrt driver written by NetBSD people and ported to all BSDs. It provides support for PCI-based TV cards using a Brooktree Bt848/849/878/879 or a Conexant CN-878/Fusion 878a Video Capture Chip with the bktr(4) driver. You would have very hart time finding those on E-bay these days.