View Single Post
Old 7th January 2009
Disgruntled desktop user

LOL jgimmi, yes my repeated requirements are to do what you said. I don't have time to learn every OS in the world. I have a job a family and I've been running Slackware for a few years and I can get it to do most of what I want. I don't think I should have to be a BSD-expert to be able to get the apps I want running, and I don't think compiling apps I do want without knowing every detail of the OS is some sort of capital offense except maybe in the eyes of a UNIX-snob or somebody with way too much time on his hands who makes snide remarks at the thought of anybody who had the nerve to ask a question like I did in this forum.

What is so offensive about asking if it's possible to make my own packages?

Go back and read my opening post and see if you still think your nastiness is called for. One of the things I like least about UNIX is the prima donnas. Some stereotypes are unfortunately too true. Have a nice day!

nijatux, I have no idea what you're talking about. We don't "have" to do anything with Slackware. I built hundreds of packages by tracking down all the real dependencies, choosing my own build options etc. and I set up a very nice system for myself that I use day in and day out without any problems. I chose Slackware over other distros specifically because I have to understand exactly what goes into my system and I have enough control without having to be a kernel developer. I make my own packages including only what I want and nothing else- no bloat. If I wanted a packaged system there are many to choose from, however that type of system is not for me. One of the things that bothers me most about Free, Net, and to a lesser extent OpenBSD is the package bloat. You have to install what the package maintainer wants, not what you want. I can build a Slackware system in about half the space of a similarly-equipped BSD.

I don't need gstreamer, aspell, gnome-vfs or thousands of other so-called dependencies that really aren't, and I don't have those things on my Slackware systems. Try building a desktop in any BSD without all that crap..a good example is ROX-filer. Look what you need to build it on Linux and then look what you get when you install it from pkgsrc or ports in *BSD. Scary, isn't it
BSDForums.org refugee #27
Multibooting with LILO

Last edited by Randux; 7th January 2009 at 08:47 AM.