Thread: Diablo 3
View Single Post
Old 30th June 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
Actually, I rather like the pause function as it's implemented in the infinity engine games, it's a good mix between real-time and turn-based combat.
There's also an option to auto-pause the game every round (6 seconds), which would be the same as playing turn-based.
Pause is okay. But it's nothing like a proper turn-based system. For instance, you can't (at least in the Icewind Dale games) select where players should move while paused. And the auto-pause just drove me nuts as it constantly stopped, then goes, then stops, then goes. And the graphics get really choppy (at least on my system at the time - dual-AthlonMP 1.6 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 128 MB nVidia 4400MX).

Give me a proper turn-based RPG anyday. Make it "real-time" while wandering around, while in the towns, while talking with NPCs. But once you encounter an enemy, then use the turn-based rules/setup/interface: You select what each character will do, where they will move, etc. Then the action starts. Once everyone has finished their actions, and/or the round ends (for actions that take multiple rounds), then you select what they are going to do. Repeat ad nauseum. I mean, the game is based on turn-based rules ... but doesn't implement them properly in the interface?

I really like the graphics, story-line, characters, effects, etc in the Icewind Dale games. But I just could not get over the battle setup, and eventually just gave up on the games. I have Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate as well, but haven't bothered to try them, due to the above.

It just irks me how so many games are going 3D for no other reason than to be 3D, are going real-time for no other reason than to be real-time, are going to online multi-player for no other reason than to have another checkbox ticked. Maybe I'm just getting too old for computer games. Or else I need to develop a really bad meth habit, so I can become a twitchy-games player. [shakes head] Where's the in-depth story? Where's the immersivenesss? Where's the "oh my god, where'd the time go?" feeling? Why is the interface in my way?

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.